Skip to main content

"Vodka" at Holy Week?

Is Holy Week really holy? This has been a big question in my mind since I was young. I know that Holy Week is the time to commemorate the suffering and sacrifices of Jesus Christ for all of us. It's also the time to repent and go back to God's embrace and do some penance like fasting.

Time to abstain from eating meat (since it is considered flesh by Catholic) on Friday to honor the Passion of Jesus on Good Friday. But there is a big "BUT" in all of these christian doctrine that we must adhere and do by law of spiritual teachings.

My mom has a store and right at this moment (Holy week, it is usually celebrated on April), i hear someone say, "Do you have "The Bar" (one of the brand of Vodka sold in the Philippines)", my mom says, "we do have", and the man says, "Three Long Neck please." (He's pertaining to a 700 ml of vodka).

Can you imagine how people have changed over time. When i was a kid, mostly i saw old women in some church, reading and singing "Pasyon" (The Passion of Christ), and very few are drinking beers or wine. But now that I am already 28 years old, I saw more men with alcoholic drinks on their hand, rather than a book of Passion Christ. Not only that, more and more of today's family are out of town, swimming.(Though I am also guilty of this act, last year we went to Batangas beach resort).

I won't blame those men or family who are celebrating holy week in different ways, since this is the only time that they are out of office to bond with family and friends. But whatever they are doing right now, let's not forget that the essence of this celebration is to stay away from sin and be back to our God.

How about you? How do you celebrate holy week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Domain and Hosting in Bluehost

I've been using bluehost a few years now. Soon I will be migrating this blog to bluehost, but I'm giving it a second thought. Although I know that bluehost is very reliable when it comes to speed and up-time, I'm concerned about the URL that's already been published using this blogger domain. That would be a lot of rework when it comes to Search Engine Optimization. But I will be uploading another site soon using Bluehost domain and hosting services. The reason I can't stay away from bluehost is that, the customer service is superb. I mean come to think about the technicalities of the servers and all. Almost all domain hosting has very reliable services when it comes to server hosting, but I guess the difference is their customer service. Their agents are technically savvy when it comes to trouble shooting customer's issue. CLICK HERE TO SIGNUP FOR BLUEHOST.COM Note: I get a small commission on referring you to Bluehost, but I won't be promoting t